Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dear Fans

Dear "fans" of every band on the planet,

Social media has distorted the way you see the Signed/Touring Musician...and I am sorry for that.

Many will argue to the contrary, but I have never backed down from a well deserved debate and I ask those with valid points free from emotions and opinions to inject their side. I am a woman of my word and stand ready to be corrected.


Back in the 1980's, when I became a fan of music, I remember the excitement I had when I saved up enough of my babysitting money to travel to town and pick up the most recent issue of Metal Edge and Circus magazine.

Back then, that was all we had to connect with our favorite musicians. It's because of this, there was a respect/mystery about them that made their music that much better. I would sit in my bedroom and listen to lyrics trying to find their meaning. I read each cassette jacket from front to back learning each song (accurately),enjoyed the credits and familiarized myself with the engineers, producers and mixers. I sought out other projects if I liked what I heard.
Back then there weren't computers. You had to learn your instrument and train your voice...and it was good...so good.


Fast forward almost 30 years.
We have become the information society. Some of it is incredible and positively life enriching, some of it borders on criminal, some of it is downright dangerous.

At any given moment a message can be sent to any artist and some believe their questions should be answered immediately. This ensues the issue... Easy access to musicians and their families without respect.

Now, please don't think I don't appreciate the fans of my husbands band. I have developed some amazing friendships with some who make sure to send me photographs and videos of my husbands shows, some of them have my personal phone number and we chat now and then. These fans are NOT the problem...in fact they are what keeps an injured music industry rolling. I am thankful for them. They buy the albums, they go to the shows, they buy the merchandise and some of them go all out and start independent fan sites, street teams and bring the tour bus supplies. You guys are appreciated on a level that I cannot express in words. Thank you.

The people I want to address are those that I know have "traded" MP3's, who blow up my inbox with very personal questions and are the first to make assumptions and spread rumors when they don't have a direct association with anyone in the band. There is a reason for a funneling of information. Learn to respect it.

I understand the mentality all too well, and I have to say that I am disappointed in the machine that is being built.

The moment this became clear to me was two years ago while I was recovering from cancer.
I had to take on a job I hated in order to keep our lights on in our house. The individual I was working for pulled out a HUGE external hard drive with 1 terabyte of illegally downloaded music. I felt my face get red.


I asked him calmly, "Where did you get this?"


His response was from a friend who got it from a friend who got it from a friend who was a IT person with the Air Force who had been trading and ripping music for years. I plugged it in to see every album my husband wrote and every other band I personally knew. I wanted to throw up. At best guess there were over 100,000 songs on that external hard drive. So what I was looking at was 4 people that had in their possession over $100,000 of illegal music EACH. Almost half a million in potential sales LOST!


After throwing up in anger and realizing my husbands last royalty check was only $210.00 for the quarter (3 months worth) I understood what this society is all about.
Instant gratification, entitlement, and popularity.

In 5 minutes I learned that this hard drive was copied 4 times...but how many times was it copied before then and after that? How did one IT guy think it was acceptable to share stolen music with so many people? You work for the military, shame on you, I know who you are...and you should be scared.


First and foremost, I am not at liberty to discuss the business that my husband built. I am not a source of gossip to allow yourselves some sort of leverage in a conversation of "Who is the coolest for knowing someone famous". And most importantly, I am not your source to forward your demo to the producers I know. So stop it.

I guarantee you that if you were allowed a magical window to peer into our lives for the past 13 years and saw what the music industry truly is...you would have run away screaming for your life. The reality is, the dream you thought the signed musician lives, died about 15 years ago...and no one is brave enough to dispose of it. It's just being sprayed daily with Febreeze and painted ridiculously to cover the rot. And shame on Labels, Management and Agents for playing their part in the facadacy.

I ask that parents have real conversations with their children and tell them NO. Kids these days think they deserve everything...FOR FREE and find every excuse when any kind of blame is placed upon them.

I actually caught my friends 12 year old sharing music!! When confronted, he replied to me, "Everyone else does it!"
If it was my kid, he would have gotten a smack across the face and his phone smashed.


I see the sea of loyal fans dying off and one by one being replaced by zombie robot kids with zero accountability and tired parents who don't have time to discipline. Its a sad world.

So parents, how about you slow down the pace of your life that you struggle in order to buy your kids the new "cool" thing on TV and stop rewarding their whining by giving them over-priced tickets to Justin Bieber/Lady Gaga/LMFAO/Taylor Swift concerts.

It's YOUR damned money...not theirs.

Now, before I get crucified for calling out the previously listed musicians, let me make it crystal clear. All of these artists have their following, I respect that and understand that not everyone is going to enjoy the sounds of Karnivool, Eye Empire and Lamb of God like we do in this family. What I am expressing is that over the past 6 years I have heard from fans that they can't afford to go to rock concerts any more due to their spending 300+ dollars to send their ungrateful kids to see their teenie bopper concerts. 

It has been a long debated topic that has been discussed on every tour bus I've sat on. "Rock Music is dying because parents spend their money on their kids' concerts and have surrendered their abilities to attend their own"

So word of advice to all parents and middle aged folks like myself:

Do yourself a favor and go get yourself tickets to Anthrax this spring and tell your kids to start mowing lawns and walking dogs if they want things...LIKE OUR PARENTS MADE US DO!

Respect the channel of social media and allow musicians, athletes, and celebrities their down time.


Delete the music you stole and go buy it like we had to back in the 80's and 90's.

If you "can't afford it" maybe you need to see where your money is going and realize that the musicians you stole it from don't have money either.


There is a respect that needs to be reinstated back into music. Some are already doing it...we are just waiting for the rest of you to get on board.

Do the right thing. Respect it before it's gone forever.


Sincerely With Much Love, Respect, and Support,

Jillian Rock


https://twitter.com/AngryJillian






10 comments:

  1. A- to the freakin' -Men! I'm right there with you sister! As a parent of two, it starts all over with me. My kids, 11 and 7, have weekly chores, do their own laundry, mow the yard. They work for everything they get and respect and appreciate every thing they have. My son received an iPod for Christmas this year and has PURCHASED every song on his playlist. If he hadn't, he wouldn't own that iPod anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good blog and I agree with about 80% of it. I don't necessarily agree with the fact that parents should not give their kids a ticket now and then and not only that if you had any idea what it takes to put on a show for a Taylor Swift you'd understand the ticket prices much better but that is a different discussion. Also Rock/Metal is where it is due in large part to plain lazy ass bands and musicians that have no creativity, vision or ability to play outside of two keys. Most bands today are boring, with crapy songs and even crappier stage presence. That being said, I would agree with everything else you wrote and I am very glad you wrote it. More power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you "Rocket Mom" and Mr. Lowry for your comments. It is greatly appreciated to have the interaction and allows us to further the debate in future posts and contributing articles by other "Rock Wives".
    I appreciate your hard work to raise incredibly intelligent and aware children "Rocket Mom". I have to say, your post has allowed me to breathe a sigh of relief knowing that there are others out there that understand. Thank you!
    Mr.Lowry, I also thank you for your kind words. I also want to expand the article for you and others with more information.
    I do, indeed, understand what it takes to put on a stadium tour. We've been on many of them over the years and also have family members who are techs/crew for bigger national acts than those listed in the article.
    I understand the logistics and transportation issues/costs involved along with retainers for techs, crew wages, per diems, management fees, legal fees, royalty tax brackets, publishing, radio spin fees, A&R reps....etc. I also understand touring inconveniences due to immigration, working permits, taxes, international royalties, performance royalties and distribution structures. It's all about the money and who it goes to...trust me...I know.
    I've been keeping tabs on accounting/management for years and have worked with some of the most well respected management companies in this country and have also had the displeasure of dealing with some of it's most corrupt. (that's another post in the works)
    The real issue of what this is about can be easily misinterpreted, an I apologize for that.
    My intent for writing this blog is not to express the inner-workings of a "Famous" musicians wife's random thoughts, but to encourage a new way of thinking in this industry.
    While I don't disagree that kids should attend a concert now and then, I do stand by my words and say that they better be doing chores and working on their paper route/babysitting/dog walking to pay for at least half of the ticket price themselves. ;)
    Thanks again you guys! Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for finally putting this out there so intelligently and from the heart. I hope that every musician shares this so their fans or parents of fans/young musicians can see that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. When it's being stolen blade by blade it DOES add up. Kudos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is a cop out to say parents are zombies and are not disciplining them. As a parent of three teenagers I can honestly say they don't ask for more than what I asked for as a kid - what they are asking for is different - but I wanted stuff - they want stuff. Sure my kids have cellphones and I pay for them - why because I want to know where they are and if they need help they can reach me. Did my parents know where I was when I was sixteen - nope - were they paying attention to what I did – not really. Was there such a device for me to contact them - nope - so I never asked for it. I think it is way too easy to blame parents for being suckers and giving in – hey man we are all trying to do the best job for our kids and ourselves.

    My kids buy every song they listen to - why because they only use iTunes and they ask for iTunes cards for Christmas and Birthdays. They pay for it because stealing it is wrong and musicians need to get paid - period. But they don't buy or spend the same amount as I use to as a kid. Save up for a month to take the bus downtown to spend $15 for an album - when there was really 3 songs you wanted and the others were OK. Now you just buy the 3 songs you want - $3 bucks and you are done – and $15 in 1980 is equivalent to $40 today. It is also the medium that is at fault as well - there is no cherishing because you can have it whenever, wherever you want it and you never really own anything that you can put in your hands. I have three big boxes of CD's that I could never sell or throw out - but I never listen to CD's - because everything has been ripped for my own use and is stored on a music server in the basement - why because it is easy. My kids have no attachment to their music because it is ephemeral – here today on their iPhone and poof gone tomorrow- meh I can always get it later. I hear Brown Sugar on the radio I think of Sticky Fingers – Andy Warhol crotch shot – the zipper on the album that worked – it is a thing. The industry changed because the delivery changed – just talk to someone who studied journalism – hey where did my industry go.

    As for your other point - I agree there needs to be a distance between the fans and the artists - get too close and they lose their cache. Yesterday on FB Keith Richards’ social media coordinator was asking people to send in questions for Keith to answer - whoaaaa - way way too close. You have to earn that right to be able to get his attention and I like it that way.

    All in all – does it suck that it changed – yes for the artists it does big time. For the consumers it is cheaper and just another consumable – is that right – absolutely not but I have no idea how to change it where it is profitable.

    Thanks for Writing and perhaps you even got to the end of this comment :-) – Cheers - Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Eric.
      You bring up some solid points that are valid. Especially the one about Keith Richards. I also commend you one your children buying their songs on iTunes etc. I have no problem with iTunes, we do get paid for every unit sold. ;)
      I do strongly believe there is a disconnect that teens/young adults are dealing with and it is in direct association with the "information society" that we have become.
      You did express that your children all have cell phones. And also expressed you didn't have one during your important social development years (as I did not being a 1970's kid myself) I think cell phones are a great tool for kids safety. But, when you can surf the internet, download music and text all day long we see the burn out on information, the disposable attitudes and the need for immediate gratification.
      A perfect example of this is the "traditional" teen of the year 2013 who hasn't gotten back a response text from their friend within the 3 minute expected time frame. This is the mindset I speak of. Meltdowns, facebook rants, and assumptions. Its all just a bunch of self inflicted stress.
      I am not completely disconnected from the issue. I am also a parent and will have two teenage boys soon. It honestly scares me. My husband and I will indeed get them the cheapest no frills phone with the cheap plan for contact/safety issues...but if they want the top of the line iPhone with the data plan...they WILL be working for it.
      I buy their clothes, school supplies, food (and my GOD do we buy food for two boys) pay the extra electricity for them forgetting lights on and taking too long of showers. THEY can pay the extras...it makes it less disposable to them if they had to work for it. And that is my point.


      Delete
    2. Good points and point taken. Perhaps there is less cherishing of stuff because of the bombardment from FB and TXT messages from friends. As you have seen with your kids - they don't get a lot of social down time. I remember when you got home from school you had time to just be - listen to music and read your magazines.

      Thanks for sharing a thought provoking post.

      Cheers - Eric

      Delete
  6. Jill,
    We have never met and I hope that someday we do, you truly are an amazing woman and I couldnt of said this any better myself.
    Having worked with bands in the past (including 12 Stones) I know how important it is for people to buy cds and merch, I encourage people to attend shows and buy the items so that these bands can have a hot meal, stop for a hot shower and get to the next show, it pisses me off to no end when I see these people walking away with nothing and having their iPods or whatever full of the bands music the next day, it has caused many fights among my friends and I because they have no clue how many bands out there struggle daily on the road and their families back home struggle just as much.
    I personally had brought my kids to 2 of the 3, 12 Stones shows I attended last year :) I had them earn their tickets doing whatever it was that needed to be done because I know how Aaron, Paul, Will and Eric treat their fans, old and new, I wanted them to have those experiences of earning the right to meet rock stars. It is a privilege earned to attend a show with a extra bonus of meeting the guys and having things autographed that were bought.
    Aaron knows who I am and I have offered to bring them a home cooked meal the next time they come into town (even if that means having my husband load up the grill in the back of the truck to have a BBQ in the parking lot lol), offered them all a place to shower to wash the nights sweat off, I have bought him dinner and a drink while we sat there and talked about you and the kids :) because to me he is more then a drummer, he is a human, he is married with a family back home I personally would rather sit there and discuss home life and get to know the person behind the skins, stings and mics.
    Anyways enough rambling, I hope that all is well with you all.
    Cheer!
    Tish

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great read. I shared it on my FB profile.

    -jamie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Please write more if you can/have time! I'm addicted to your style and these are good tips - from a current real long-term girlfriend x

    ReplyDelete